Roly LaserMATIC10 Laser Engraver
Laser Engravers have become a popular tool among hobbyists and small entrepreneurs alike. They are extremely versatile and make creating custom engraved items easier than ever. The Roly LaserMATIC10 Laser Engraver is new to the market and, for me, is the new gold standard in its price range.
Their entry level kit (I hesitate to call it a base kit because it is much more complete than most competitor’s base kits) fits well in to the price range of other beginner kits, but includes several add-ons that would need to be purchased separately with other company’s machines.
The top option is a complete kit, including everything you need to get started engraving in under an hour, including assembly and configuration. I have sampled both units and have nothing negative to say about either of them.
LaserMATIC10 Entry Level
Unboxing and Assembly
The first thing I have to mention about the LaserMATIC10 Laser Engraver is the packaging. When it first arrived, I could tell Roly cares about quality before even opening the box. The cardboard was high quality and it was taped perfectly. I know, I know, who cares about cardboard? But, I think its important to point out because it gave me a fantastic first impression.
Once I opened the box, I was met with high quality foam surrounding every part of the machine, an incredible color instruction manual, and clearly labeled parts and pieces.
The instructions were very clear, and I had the machine assembled in roughly 20-30 minutes. Another few minutes later, I had the software installed and the laser completely configured, thanks to the included flash drive that had everything set up for me. This is a huge departure from the competition, most of whom send black and white, somewhat legible instructions, and leave you to your own devices to figure out the configuration.
There are 2 main software options, LaserGRBL (free), and LightBurn (Paid). Both are included on the flash drive. I highly recommend LightBurn, but LaserGRBL is also quite capable.
Being new to laser engraving, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect. The learning curve is steep, but it didn’t take long to start producing some quality engravings. You can see a few of my first attempts as I honed in on the correct laser settings.
Fortunately, the settings are easy to change in LightBurn and Roly includes a set of test materials for you to play with, as well as one test board with several engravings already on it, displaying the settings used to make them. As best I can tell, the included board was created with the specific laser I received.
I’ve come a long way since the test pieces and have expanded to larger wood items, round items, and stainless steel tumblers. Next on my list is to tackle glass, which sounds like a bit more of a challenge, but I’m looking forward to it. For a few examples of the items I’ve been working on, check out my Laser Engraved Cutting Boards and More!
Now that we’ve covered the basics of assembly and getting the laser going, its time to talk about what really sets this unit apart from the competition.
- The Construction – This machine is much heavier duty than others I’ve seen. The weight and overall sturdiness is second to none.
- Air Assist included – This is a necessary tool for any cutting or longer duration jobs as it helps clear the smoke from the laser area. It is an add-on for most engravers, but comes in the box with the Roly machine.
- Rotary Tool included – Again, an essential tool for getting the most out of a laser engraver, and again, a separate add-on for most of the competition. It also comes included in the Roly box.
Roly LaserMATIC10 Complete
I don’t want to rehash everything I said about the entry level kit, as all the benefits of the entry level kit are included in the Complete kit.
The complete kit, however, adds a few more items to truly make it a one stop shop for getting a laser engraver up and going.
- Enclosure – The complete kit includes a lighted and integrated enclosure with lid and electric ventilation fan. It even filters the dangerous UV light from the laser allowing you to watch it work without the need for goggles. The fan comes with a long hose attachment, making venting to the outside a snap.
- Honeycomb panel – This is a nice, level bed to place your items for engraving. It fits perfectly in the machine, includes measurements along each side, and allows for quick and easy alignment of your projects.
- LightBurn compatible camera – This camera is great for LightBurn. It helps with both design and alignment of your projects by displaying an image of the laser bed in the project area on your screen.
This is one of the easiest ratings I’ve had to pleasure of making. The quality construction, ease of assembly, and overall ability of these complete machines make them a clear step above the rest of the laser engravers in this price range, especially when accounting for the need to purchase all the extra accessories for the competing models. 5 stars!
The complete kit is my overall recommendation between the two options, but there are a few things to point out as differences that could sway your decision one way or the other. If both of these options are out of your price range, or you prefer to build your kit over time, check out my review of the ATOMSTACK A5 Pro Laser Engraver.
And if you’re looking for some ideas for things to engrave, I have included a few Amazon links below.
- No enclosure included – You will definitely want to add one, but if you’re replacing another laser and have an enclosure already, this is a great option.
- No honeycomb panel – This is not a 100% necessary item, but you will want to put something down under the laser to protect the table or bench below.
- Open bottom – This could be a big bonus. If you have taller items, it would be possible to put the laser on a stand and engrave them.
- Everyhing included – Buy this unit and you’re all set.
- Closed bottom – I like this feature as it keeps the unit as compact as possible, and with the integrated lid, keeps the noise down as well. But, it does limit the height of what you can actually engrave.
If you would like to experience any of our amazing creations, many of which are made with items reviewed on this site, check out our shop at thesillygooselife.com!
Disclaimer: This article includes affiliate links. If you use these links to make purchases, I may earn a commission, however my opinions are my own, and there is no additional cost to you.